World Responsible Tourism Awards 2014 launches today
Today marks the launch of the World Responsible Tourism Awards 2014, sponsored by the Oman Ministry of Tourism. Now in their 11th year, the awards are a chance for the travel industry and holidaymakers to “celebrate the responsible tourism heroes providing the most memorable holiday experiences while giving back to local communities and the environment”.
This year the awards have expanded to 12 categories, with new ones for best city hotel, best for beach tourism and best responsible short film, the latter to be awarded for films and documentaries that inspire travellers to take more responsible holidays.
And, launched last year, the People’s Choice for Responsible Tourism category allows the public to choose their favourite from among a selection of previous winners.
The list in total:
• Best animal welfare initiative, sponsored by Born Free Foundation
• Best aviation programme for carbon reduction
• Best for beach tourism, sponsored by Jersey
• Best city hotel
• Best cultural heritage attraction, sponsored by Wightlink
• Best destination, sponsored by Visit Norway
• Best for engaging people & culture, sponsored by New York State Division of Tourism
• People’s Choice for responsible tourism, sponsored by Slovenia Tourist Board
• Best for people with disabilities, sponsored by Enable Holidays
• Best for poverty reduction, sponsored by Tobago House of Assembly
• Best short film for responsible tourism, sponsored by Fair Trade Tourism
• Best for wildlife conservation, sponsored by Discover Dominica
At this initial stage, an award winner can be suggested by nominating them here.