Your pilots are usually exhausted, or busy on a laptop
A list of alarming facts you probably never knew about air travel has been published, citing a range of sources. For example…
– A plane or vehicle moves onto the runway by mistake about a thousand times a year.
– Your coffee is made using the same water coming out of the bathroom sinks. Some of the water has bacteria levels a hundred times over government limits.
– Your captain and crew are usually exhausted, often on duty without a break for 16 hours or more.
– Some pilots get distracted by their laptops and devices during the flight. In October 2009, for instance, two pilots busy on their laptops flew past their destination by 200 kilometres.
– Pilots make mistakes all the time, about speed, altitude, landing. Because they’re usually corrected in time, the pilot won’t tell anyone about them.
– Pilots are constantly under pressure to carry less fuel than they think is necessary.
– Lots of freight is shipped on commercial flights, including “HR” – human remains. There may well be a casket on your flight.
– When landing, the pilot dims the interior lights in case you need to evacuate. Your eyes are already adjusted to the dark so you can see better outside the plane.
RD / AOL / CNN / The New York Times / Cnet / Quora
[pictured: São Paulo; photo courtesy Agência Brasil]