Fire broke out after the club should have been closed
A fire broke out early this morning at a nightclub in Phuket popular with tourists, killing four people and hospitalising 12 more. All four of those killed are believed to have been foreign tourists. The blaze, at the Tiger club in Patong, broke out at 04:00 – well after the club should have been closed for the night. Lightning from a storm struck a transformer and fire quickly spread throughout the building.
As was made obvious when a devastating fire at a nightclub in Bangkok at New Year 2009 killed around 60 people, safety standards are known to be lax in Thailand, a problem that is fuelled by corruption.
BBC / Bangkok Post
[pictured: Patong Beach, close to where the nightclub was located]