Home News Philippines casino attack kills 36

Philippines casino attack kills 36

0
SHARE

Lone gunman attacks Resorts World Manila
At least 36 people have been killed in an attack at a casino in Manila, Philippines, in the early hours of Friday morning, by a lone gunman armed with an assault rifle who set fire to gambling tables. The attack is not said to be terror-related.
Most of the victims of the Resort World Manila attack are believed to have died of suffocation, police said, many of them women who were found dead inside one of the toilet areas. Another 54 people were injured.
All of the bodies were found in or near the casino, which was heavily carpeted and where all of the windows were locked. Thick smoke from the fires delayed a search of the building.
“This particular situation in Manila is not related in any way to a terrorist attack,” said presidential spokesman Ernesto Abella.
Manila police chief Oscar Albayalde said he thought it was likely the suspect, who committed suicide, was a foreigner, because “he looks Caucasian, he talks English, he’s big and he’s white, so he’s probably a foreigner”.
Resorts World Manila is an elite hotel and entertainment complex near Manila’s Ninoy Aquino International Airport. The gunman walked straight into the building, past a single security guard who panicked when she saw the suspect’s automatic rifle, according to police. Security inside the building do not carry weapons and did not engage the suspect.
But the gunman did not seem to be firing at people. Instead he stuffed gaming chips worth 113 million pesos (€2 million) into a backpack, later found by police.
“It’s too early to tell, but so far as we are concerned there was no ISIS,” Philippines national police chief Ronald Dela Rosa said. “If this is ISIS, all the people gambling inside should have been shot or already been bombed. He didn’t hurt anyone. Those who were injured got their injuries when they jumped from the windows.”
CNN

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here