Paramedics called to quarantine 26 passengers
Twenty-six passengers on a 14-hour Qantas flight to Sydney from Santiago in Chile had to be met and quarantined by paramedics immediately on landing.
The sick passengers, all Australian, were part of the same tour group. It is thought they contracted the gastrointestinal illness before boarding the flight. The bug, thought to be norovirus, hit them mid-journey prompting mass vomiting on the Boeing 747 aircraft.
The suffering passengers were reportedly moved to the back of the plane, close to where four toilets were situated. The plane was carrying more than 300 people at the time.
TTG Digital / SkyNews
[pictured: X-ray crystallographic structure of the Norwalk virus, from which norovirus is derived]