There is nothing better than Glühwein during the holidays. To go with it? Festive food, of course.
Apart from spending time with your nearest and dearest, Christmas often means indulging in dishes that are unique to December. To usher in the season of goodwill and tighter waistbands, the cafés and restaurants at Helsinki Airport are offering special treats for passengers craving a taste of the Yuletide spirit.
1. Duck confit with roasted butternut squash and orange sauce 23,9€ (Nordic Kitchen, Gate 35)
Cooking and keeping duck in its rendered fat was once esteemed as a preservation method. The approach may be simple, but it results in tender, moist, and extremely flavorful meat.
2. Christmas seafood sandwich 21,5€ (Nordic Kitchen, Gate 35)
These open-faced sandwiches, or landgång, contain half the amount of bread which is great if you’re watching your carbs during the holidays. The seafood one features, among others, herring with gooseberries. The version made with meat – such as cold-smoked reindeer, served with pineapple and brie – is available at Pier Zero (18,9€, Gates 28-29).
3. Pecan pastry 4,60€ (Tapio Café, Gate 24; Café Tori, Gates 26-27)
Delicious pecan pastry with real vanilla cream and caramel sauce made by Patisserie pH7.
4. Traditional Christmas buffet (Cesar’s Little Italy, Terminal 2, ground floor)
Served from December 23–24, the spread features flavors associated with the traditional Finnish Christmas, from ham and fish to beetroot salad.
5. Gingerbread caffè latte 4,80€ (Tapio Café, Gate 24; Café Tori, Gates 26-27; My City Shop & Café, Terminal 2, arrivals hall 2A)
Classic espresso and steamed milk spiked with vanilla, cinnamon and cardamom is definitely Christmas in a mug.