World Environment Day is celebrated each year on the 5th of June and this year’s theme is “THINK. EAT. SAVE”
Think.Eat.Save is an anti-food waste and food loss campaign that encourages you to reduce your food print. According to the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), every year 1.3 billion tons of food is wasted. This is equivalent to the same amount produced in the whole of sub-Saharan Africa. At the same time, 1 in every 7 people in the world go to bed hungry and more than 20,000 children under the age of 5 die daily from hunger.
While the planet is struggling to provide us with enough resources to sustain its 7 billion people (growing to 9 billion by 2050), FAO estimates that a third of global food production is either wasted or lost. Food waste is an enormous drain on natural resources and a contributor to negative environmental impacts.
This year’s campaign rallies you to take action from your home and then witness the power of collective decisions you and others have made to reduce food waste, save money, minimise the environmental impact of food production and force food production processes to become more efficient.
In fact, the global food production occupies 25% of all habitable land and is responsible for 70% of fresh water consumption, 80% of deforestation, and 30% of greenhouse gas emissions. It is the largest single driver of biodiversity loss and land-use change.
Making informed decision therefore means, for example, that you purposefully select foods that have less of an environmental impact, such as organic foods that do not use chemicals in the production process. Choosing to buy locally can also mean that foods are not flown halfway across the world and therefore limit emissions.
So think before you eat and help save our environment!
Each year Constance Hotels and Resort is proud to be part of the global celebrations for World Environment Day on this 5th of June and each hotel has worked on a specific program.
• In the morning: Tour of the island with guests for cleaning our magic island
• In the afternoon: fishing in the Malagasy way……Malagasy use to fish with small sailing boat called Pirogue. We go to fish all together and eat what we catch
• For dinner: candle light dinner using: Tsarabanjina spices, Mitsio fish and Nosy be vegetables and rice
CONSTANCE BELLE MARE PLAGE
• Embellishment of Joie de Vivre, i.e. tree planting, paint work, electrical & plumbing, etc. which has already started and due to finish by Tuesday.
“Joie de Vivre” is a school for handicapped, located at Poste de Flacq. This project will also become our CSR mission, where the hotel will be more involved in its activities.
• Mini-reportage on the flora that exists at the CBMP as mentioned below.
We are planning to make our guests and staff discover the different plants within the hotel, their history in Mauritius and how it helps the environment within the hotel be so unique from one place to another via a mini reportage conducted in-house with our Landscaping Manager, the landscaping team and the Spa, Housekeeping, Villa & F&B who frequently use these resources.
• Bio-menu among the hotel’s personnel at L’Heritage Restaurant
• Expo on “Les tortues marines – Prenons en soin” (Take care of sea turtles) at L’Heritage Restaurant by the Blues Diving
• Saturday 8 June – Lagoon cleaning at Belle Mare, in collaboration with Blues Diving
• Ros Lapa Walk and tree planting with our recreation team
• Mangrove Walk & Talk activity, and later serve coconut water with local banana and breadfruit chips, to all the participants.
• A special health/organic dinner will be served in our Helios Restaurant.
• Special activities with the little ones at our Gecko Kids Club.
• Planting of trees in the Kids Club and other eco-fun activities with children
• Eco Breakfast – Consisting of Healthy BIO food…
• Tree planting… express your appreciation of Nature!
• Donation event for a social sustainable cause
• The hotel will also be honoured by the visit of the Minister of the Environment of the Seychelles who will take part in a tree planting ceremony to launch the World Environment Day festivities.
• Special Yoga Session customized to Constance Environmental Thinking and Well Being
• Planting of Herb Garden among guests and personnel
• Cooking Class focused on portion size and waste control by the Executive Chef.
• Planting 50 Palm Trees on Alikoi, our private island
• Setting up of three new coral cages
• Drawing competition among children at the Kid’s Club,
• Lecture on Environmental Safety in regards to Marine Life at the diving centre, and later, lagoon cleaning with the hotel’s personnel
• Zero carbon / Raw food menu – highlighting the local ingredients and the main course cooked on a BBQ over dried coconut shells (all ingredients locally purchased and no energy used to cook)
• South Ari Atoll begins own Coral Planting Programme
Constance Moofushi Maldives has initiated a coral planting. The main purpose of the activity is to restore the health of the marine life on their surrounding reef, in particular, our very important dive sites. The reef has really suffered from the natural effects. Trampling on corals and over exploitation of marine resources has also taken its toll on the declining health of the reef. The launching will be on 05 June for the Environmental day.